Tips for Parenting Children Who Prefer Thinking
Parenting Based On Personality Type
What you need to know & do to support the child that
makes decisions through the thinking preference
According to Carl Jung, father of personality type, Thinking Children make decisions through the Thinking preference. They make objective decisions.
Characteristics of the child that prefers Thinking:
- Don’t require as much feedback as Feeling children
- More likely to use feedback to evaluate how well they are performing
- Need feedback to be specific
- Prefer feedback to be about their individual performances rather than about relationships
- Need opportunities to earn the positive feedback
Tips for Parenting Children Who Prefer Thinking:
- Understand that if you bend the rules for others, the T child will most likely become stressed.
- Understand that when they ask why, they are not being defiant, They are actually asking why, and are looking for clarity and more details.
- More likely to access the information if given enough details
- Can be very direct, and may need help developing diplomacy
- Be specific with your praises
To learn more about Personality Types and their functions,
register for a Personality Type workshop
Michele Burch Reid, MS, founder of LCI, is an Organizational Effectiveness & Personal Development Consultant and Coach. Michele has a master’s degree in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, as well as several certifications. She helps clients create overall satisfaction & potential by tapping into their natural strengths with Personality Type, Emotional Intelligence Training, Biofeedback & other Brain-based tools. Michele’s philosophy is that when you discover what inspires you, you can more easily inspire and lead others. Whether that is in the board room, the classroom, or the family room.
More From Michele
Introverted Feeling (FI) ISFJ - INFJ The function is making decisions based on your personal values and being concerned more with how things impact you personally than how the group is impacted. Uses personal, deeply held values to ensure an inner sense of...
Extraverted Feeling (FE) ESFJ - ENFJ The function is making decisions based on the value system that is concerned with the well-being of people. These values are more global and cultural than personal. The goal is to maintain group harmony. For...
Introverted Thinking (TI) ISTJ - INTJ The function is making decisions based on data, categories, and theories inside your mind. Analyzing & comparing systems with others make improvements. For example:The function is making decisions based on data,...