Tips for Parenting Children Who Prefer Intuition
Parenting Based On Personality Type
What you need to know & do to support the child that takes in information through Intuition.
According to Carl Jung, father of personality type, Intuitive Children naturally convert the information they take in through the 5 senses into patterns, theories & concepts. They do this so quickly that they are unaware of the fact they even took in the sensing information.
Characteristics of the child that prefers Intuition:
- Looks at information more globally
- Need opportunities to be original and Like tasks that require imagination
- Enjoy learning new skills & get bored w/ repetition or mastering
- Dislike routines
- Work in bursts of energy
- Focus on future
- May skip over facts
- Spend so much time on design of project, that it may fall short of expectation once completed
Tips for parenting the child that prefers Intuition:
- Encourage to read directions after viewing the examples. They are more likely to skip the directions & use the examples in their place.
- Listen to their intuitive hunches. Make it safe for them to share them. It takes time for them to build confidence in their intuitive hunches.
- Encourage them to read assignments a 2nd time. They often appear to be fast readers because they skim when reading, looking for concepts instead of details. Let them read first in their natural way. Then have them read again, looking for details.
- Divide work time into 2 sections, creative design & producing project. May spend too much time creating the design and not allow enough time for putting it into motion & writing
- May need help finding the materials that help them meet the intricacies of their elaborate design
- Need help putting their designs into product
To learn more about Personality Types and their functions,
register for a Personality Type workshop
Michele Burch Reid, MS, founder of LCI, is an Organizational Effectiveness & Personal Development Consultant and Coach. Michele has a master’s degree in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, as well as several certifications. She helps clients create overall satisfaction & potential by tapping into their natural strengths with Personality Type, Emotional Intelligence Training, Biofeedback & other Brain-based tools. Michele’s philosophy is that when you discover what inspires you, you can more easily inspire and lead others. Whether that is in the board room, the classroom, or the family room.
More From Michele
With Valentine’s day approaching, I thought it would be timely to revisit Personality Types as they relate to relationships. The most common question I have received in all the years doing workshops and coaching on Personality Type and Emotional Intelligence in the...
If you are like most people, you have the best intentions to set a resolution for the New Year. However, sticking to it is a struggle. Or for some, even deciding what to resolve in the first place is a struggle. Here are some suggested focus areas for setting new...
Introverted Feeling (FI) ISFJ - INFJ The function is making decisions based on your personal values and being concerned more with how things impact you personally than how the group is impacted. Uses personal, deeply held values to ensure an inner sense of...