Tips for Parenting Children Who Prefer Thinking
Parenting Based On Personality Type
What you need to know & do to support the child that
makes decisions through the Feeling preference
According to Carl Jung, father of personality type, Feeling Children make decisions through the Feeling preference. They make subjective decisions or decisions based on empathy.
Characteristics of the child that prefers Feeling:
- Need frequent feedback & praise
- No feedback is equal to negative feedback
- Equate feedback to the whole person & have difficultly separating feedback about a behavior from them
- Are more likely to accept general praise. Ie. “You’re super” than the Thinking child. However, they still enjoy knowing the specific reason for the praise
Tips for parenting the Feeling child:
- Usually don’t mind if you bend the rules if they see how it benefit others or the situation warrants
- Doesn’t always ask questions when they should. May follow & not ask why in order to keep the harmony. They don’t want to upset others.
- Need others to confirm their value. May need help learning to evaluate themselves without depending on others for that
- May need help learning to separate judgments or comments about behaviors from the whole self
- Responds well to praise and enjoys a lot of it. No praise is the same as negative praise to the Feeling child
To learn more about Personality Types and their functions,
register for a Personality Type workshop
Michele Burch Reid, MS, founder of LCI, is an Organizational Effectiveness & Personal Development Consultant and Coach. Michele has a master’s degree in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, as well as several certifications. She helps clients create overall satisfaction & potential by tapping into their natural strengths with Personality Type, Emotional Intelligence Training, Biofeedback & other Brain-based tools. Michele’s philosophy is that when you discover what inspires you, you can more easily inspire and lead others. Whether that is in the board room, the classroom, or the family room.