The 16 MBTI types can be simplified into 8 Cognitive Functions
Important to remember:
- Everyone uses all 8 functions
- Our type determines our ability to use each function
- 2 will serve as our strengths
- 2 will serve as our weakness or blind spots
- The remaining 4 are our “Shadow Functions”, in our unconscious. Often displayed during stress
- All functions are equally valuable
The Eight Cognitive Functions
- Extraverted Sensing (SE)
- Introverted Sensing (SI)
- Extraverted Intuition (NE)
- Introverted Intuition (NI)
- Extraverted Thinking (TE)
- Introverted Thinking (TI)
- Extraverted Feeling (FE)
- Introverted Feeling (FI)
The Dominant Function
4 of the Cognitive Functions are based on “Perception”, how we take in information (S or N) The other 4 are based on “Judging”, how we make decisions (T or F)
Everyone has one favorite function among the four mental functions (S, N, T or F). Everyone uses that favorite function in their favorite (Extraverted or Introverted) world. This is what determines our Dominant Function.
- Also referred to as our Hero/ Heroine Role
- It is our default function when called to “Save the Day”
- Our natural strength
- How we are “Hard-Wired”
- Our strongest function, usually well developed by age 13
- Often the only function developed at this age.
The Auxiliary Function
We each also have an Auxiliary Function. This is our 2nd strongest function. It is also referred to as our Supportive Parent Role because we use it in a positive, helpful, and supportive way.
It is also usually the one we start with when lending help and support to others.
90% of our personality is made of these two functions: our Dominant & Auxiliary
More From Michele
The Impact of Play on Our Mental Health
Playtime? Seriously, for adults? Isn’t that being lazy? Isn’t that for the retired or for kids? Studies show that having regular segments of playtime can have a strong positive contribution to our mental health. Especially, nonconstructive playtime. What is meant by...
Creating A Relaxed State Of Being For Yourself And Others
Watch this video of my horse relaxing his head when I use a relaxation technique of deep cleansing exhalation. A horse will lower their head when they feel relaxed. Was I successful? Many of you that follow me know that one of the ways I “fill my soul” is...
What’s the best personality type match for my romantic relationship?
With Valentine’s day approaching, I thought it would be timely to revisit Personality Types as they relate to relationships. The most common question I have received in all the years doing workshops and coaching on Personality Type and Emotional Intelligence in the...